Thursday, October 15, 2009

as they were and as they should have been

Each week, sometimes even twice a week, we check out about 30 different books from the BYU library. Sometimes I put a lot of thought into each book that we get and sometimes it's a free for all and I let the kids run around and pull whatever books they want off the shelf. This last trip was one of the free for all kinds. When we get home I usually sit down for about an hour and we read almost every single book. This is one of the books my kids picked out this time. It was written in 1904 and most of it is in huge contrast to how we expect children to behave today. i got a great laugh out of it and realized that more often than not my kid's were acting like the kids in the lefthanded pictures.











5 comments:

DeAnn said...

now i know what my problem was - I never read that book. Oh well - new meaning from reverence training.

Lindsay said...

Oh wow! Can you imagine the anxiety of those early 1900s moms? All these "shoulds"! I'm glad I've embraced the reality of normal child behavior. I think I'm probably less stressed out than they must have been with all that pressure. :)

Amber said...

That is hilarious! I definitely think we fall in the "as they did behave" catagory!

Julia said...

This is great! My kids exactly too.

Lisa said...

What a crack up. I love the teacher with her head in her hands, probably crying because of the stress. I can relate! :)